There will also be an opportunity to talk about Iowa's Early Literacy Law that will go into effect in May of 2017 -- directly affecting current 2nd graders.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Sunday, December 13, 2015
Wednesday, December 16th- 1 p.m. dismiss- professional development
Next Week Special Schedule
Monday 12/14: Day 3- PE/Music
Tuesday 12/15: Day 4- Art/Guidance
Wednesday 12/16: Day 5- Music/Guidance
Thursday 12/17: Day 6- Technology
Friday 12/18: Day 1- PE/Guidance
HOLIDAY CONCERT VIDEO
Merck Video Productions videotaped the Keystone Christmas Program on Friday, Dec. 4th. Cost is $12 each or 2 for $18. If you are interested in a DVD, forms are available in the school office. You can request to have a form sent home with your child. All orders must be prepaid and DVDs will be delivered to the school and sent home with student.
Students should be dressing in winter apparel appropriate for outside recess from now on. Keystone students will be going outside for recess during the day as long as the "feels like" temperature is 10 degrees or above. If you need assistance in providing these items, please contact the office.
LOST AND FOUND
Our lost and found supply is growing!! Please make sure to remind your child to look for items they have lost in our lost and found at school.
Please help our school!!
We are collecting all Grocery/Gas/Prescription Receipts
From Hy-Vee (all year!)
Big G (September 1 – March 30)
Our school receives supplies and money to purchase supplies simply by turning in these receipts!
Thanks!- See more at: http://www.benton.k12.ia.us/staff-menu/create-new-post/keystone-friday-notes-12-11-15#sthash.QhvaZlz1.dpuf
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
The staff at Keystone Elementary are wanting to continue to help parents support their child at home with Literacy and Math practice. We are having a Parent Resource Night for all PK-3 parents on Wednesday, Dec. 16th from 6:30-7:30. Please join us so we can team up to help our students and your child accelerate their learning in the areas of Literacy and Math.
Early Literacy Implementation
(Iowa Code 27.68)
Who/Where: All K-3 students/districts throughout the state of Iowa
What: Early Literacy Implementation- ELI (Iowa Code 27.68)
- Requirements by August 2014 - Universal Screening in reading for grades K-3
- Benton Community, like many other districts, is using the FAST assessment tool
- Students must meet benchmarks for the different assessments included in FAST. Words correct per minute is the score we receive by giving the CBMr assessment. The CBMr is a general outcome measure.
- If students meet the benchmark for the testing period, they are proficient
- If students don’t meet the benchmark once, they are at risk of having a substantial deficiency in reading
- If students don’t meet the benchmark twice in a row, they will be identified as having a substantial deficiency in reading.
- All students will receive 90 minutes of research-based reading instruction. Benton Community uses the Benchmark Literacy curriculum resource.
- Check out this link for more detailed information. https://www.educateiowa.gov/early-literacy-implementation
Proficient - FAST assessment must be given 3 times/year
At-Risk - Weekly progress monitoring with the FAST assessment
Substantially Deficient - Weekly progress monitoring with the FAST assessment
What If My Child Is… (as of May 1, 2017)
* Proficient - Then, your child will continue to be assessed 3 times/year and receive 90 minutes of core literacy instruction daily.
* At Risk - Then, your child will continue to be progress monitored weekly and has the possibility of being offered literacy support throughout the summer. Your child will also be in an intensive intervention where he or she will work on skills that have cause them to be identified at-risk of having a substantial deficiency in reading. (Current requirement)
* Substantially Deficient - Then, there will be in an intensive intervention (in addition to the 90 minutes of core literacy instruction) where he or she will work on skills that have caused them to be identified as having a substantial deficiency in reading. (Current requirement) Also, your child MUST participate in the intensive summer reading program offered by Benton Community if they are a third grader who is identified as having a substantial deficiency in the area of reading. You, as a parent, will be notified regarding your child’s reading deficiencies. If your child is not proficient by the end of 3rd grade, your child will be retained unless one of the following takes place:
- Enrolls in and attends an intensive summer reading program (90% attendance is required)
- Qualifies for a good cause exemption
- ELL with less than 2 years instruction in an ESL program
- Student has IEP that indicates that participation in the required assessments are not appropriate (less than 1% of students)
- Student demonstrates mastery through a portfolio review that meets Department of Education required criteria
- Student was previously retained and has received intensive remediation for at least 2 years
Why: All students need to be able to read at high levels. This is a statewide initiative to ensure that Iowa students are proficient readers.
- Reading with your child at home has become more important than ever! A minimum of 20 minutes/night is recommended.
- Ask your child’s teacher about his or her progress.
- Follow up with your child’s teacher with any questions you have regarding this law and how it could affect your family.
Friday, December 4, 2015
Keystone Friday Notes- 12/4/15
K-3 Keystone Christmas Program TONIGHT at 7 p.m. in Keystone gym.
Please have your child here at 6:45.
Next Week Special Schedule
Monday 12/7: Day 4 - Art/Guidance
Tuesday 12/8: Day 5 - Music/Guidance
Wednesday 12/9: Day 6 - Technology
Thursday 12/10: Day 1 - PE/Guidance
Friday 12/11: Day 2 - Art/Guidance
HOLIDAY CONCERT VIDEO
Merck Video Productions will be taping the Keystone Christmas Program on Friday, Dec. 4th. Cost is $12 each or 2 for $18. If you are interested in a DVD, forms will be available at the program or in the school office. All orders must be prepaid and DVDs will be delivered to the school and sent home with student.
HOT SHOTS/FUTURE STARS
This Saturday, Dec. 5th is the last week of boys youth basketball. Future Stars will start at the normal time of 9 a.m. and Hot Shots at 10:30 a.m.
PTO meeting is Monday, December 7th at 6 PM at Atkins Elementary. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Students should be dressing in winter apparel appropriate for outside recess from now on. Keystone students will be going outside for recess during the day as long as the “feels like” temperature is 10 degrees or above. If you need assistance in providing these items, please contact the office.
PTO CHRISTMAS STORE
The PTO Christmas Store at Keystone Elementary will be held on Friday, December 11th. A note went home before Thanksgiving break with information explaining the shopping event and a form to return to school if participating. If you have any questions please contact the school office at 319-442-3221. The students really enjoy having the opportunity to shop for gifts. THANK YOU to our PTO members for all the work and planning they do to make this possible.
LOST AND FOUNDOur lost and found supply is growing!! Please make sure to remind your child to look for items they have lost in our lost and found at school.